How To Guide: Making Muslim Characters

This thread is to help anyone in need of making Muslim/Islamic characters!

Old Version

Give them a personality
Not all Muslims are very religious nor is our religion our whole life and who we are as a person. Islam is a way of life, not our whole persona. Give us character! We are like any other person, just live our life differently from others.

Relationships
I rather not go off into it and give an article that explains it perfectly:

Islam is a traditional Abrahamic religion. Muslim marriage beliefs are practiced around the world and embrace a range of Islamic customs.

Reminder: All sexualities and orientations are accepted to our community.
Some of us may not agree but they are our brothers and sisters so we do
not judge upon or ridicule them. It just matters by the individual rather than the religion itself.

Make them dress properly
For Muslim women, we aren’t forced to wear the Hijab. However, it states in the Qu’ran:

Tell the believing men that they shall subdue their eyes (and not stare at the women), and to maintain their chastity. This is purer for them. God is fully Cognizant of everything they do.
And tell the believing women to subdue their eyes, and maintain their chastity. They shall not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is necessary. They shall cover their chests, and shall not relax this code in the presence of other than their husbands, their fathers, the fathers of their husbands, their sons, the sons of their husbands, their brothers, the sons of their brothers, the sons of their. They shall not strike their feet when they walk in order to shake and reveal certain details of their bodies. All of you shall repent to God, O you believers, that you may succeed. (24:30-31)*

Wearing a hijab is a choice but we must dress modestly. There are some Muslims that go against the rule but please don’t make most of your Muslims characters do that. And don’t make them wear revealing clothing with a Hijab. With the hijab, we are supposed to dress modestly. Headwraps have the same rule, if you are Muslim. It matters by the wrapping style because with some, you have to dress modestly for. Some Muslims wear headwraps, so if you make us wear it, that’s fine. Make sure that you know not all Muslims wear the hijab and people who wear the hijab/something similiar to the design aren’t automatically Muslim.

Reminder: If you make a Muslim character wear see through rip jeans (with hijab), make sure
they wear leggings underneath that are solid. 

Extra: Symbolism behind the Hijab, Niqab, and other Head Scarves like it
I feel people should know the symbolism behind them is for: Divinity, beauty, fashion, modesty and privacy. Please be aware they aren’t maant to hurt or strip anything away from anyone. Yes, there are women being forced to wear it out there, but that doesn’t make the ideology behind it is bad itself. And please, do not say “I see it as a head wrap more than a religious hair piece.” Although, it doesn’t belong to any religion, that’s no excuse to say so. Hijabs can be considered head wraps and head scarves but not all head wraps and headscarves are hijabs. Learn the different.

Some Religious Greetings and Sayings
As-Salaam Alaikum - “Peace be upon you.”
Once someone says that, we say back:
Walaikum Salaam - “And peace unto you.”
Inshallah - “If Allah wills it.”
Example:
“Inshallah, we’ll see if we can go tomorrow.”
Mashallah - “Allah/God has willed.” or “As Allah/God willed.”
Allahu Akbar - “God is the greatest.”

Website for more info:
http://arabic.speak7.com/islamic_expressions.htm

There are different denominations of Islam
You can make your character say “Well, I am Muslim” but when you tell us what Islamic denomination they follow, you can say Islam itself (Because some Muslim prefer not to be labeled into different denominations) but if you want to expand your horizons, you can give them an actual denomination. There are different ones. Like Sunni-Islam, Shai-Islam, etc.
Here’s something to help:

Reminder: All sexualities and orientations are accepted to our community.
Some of us may not agree but they are our brothers and sisters so we do
not judge upon or ridicule them. It just matters by the individual rather than the religion itself.

Eating Ways
Though the Qu’ran has stated we can’t eat pork, some of us do. They make up a small amount of our community. This doesn’t mean you can make your Muslim characters eat pork. It just means you can make a very small amount do for educational/teaching reasons. Remember, each denomination of Islam may eat different things and strictly not eat specific foods. You have to be careful of what they eat.

Praying
In Arab countries, they pray 5 times a day. There are some Muslims that do so outside of these countries. It matters by the area they live in. In countries that do not enforce it, it matters by the person. My mother prays twice a day, at night and in the morning.
An article for this:

Body Modifications
Us Muslims, and I think this goes for all of us no matter the denomination, we do not believe in them. We think it is strictly harmful to the body, so we do not suggest to have or do so. Tattoos are forbidden, however, piercings matters. In some denominations of Islam, it is forbidden overall. In mine and others, it is accepted depending on what you get. Body piercings are not accepted but for the face, there’s a limit. Not too many. I think it’s about 3-5. You can’t wear the piercings to the Mosque. If you plan on making a Muslim character have piercings, please be aware of the rules of each denominations that accept it or not.

Holidays
We do not celebrate marketed holidays like Christmas or Easter. We celebrate Eid Al-Adha, Ramadan, Eiid Al-Fitr, and many others. Like I have stated, it matters by the denomination of Islam. For me, we have a holiday called Saviors Day.

More information:

I think that’s all I can cover for now. Thank you for listening and I hope you find this useful. As-Salaam Alaikum. :pray:t4:

Last Reminder: Islam can be and is practiced in many different countries
of the world. China, Africa, India, etc. Muslims are from all all around.
There is not only one place we can be from. 

New Version with Images

Entended Character Steps and Outfit Tips

Explain%209 Explain%2010 Explain%2011 Explain%2012 Explain%2013 Explain%2014 Explain%2015

25 Likes

Omg wow! That took me way too long to re-edit! I’m sorry for whoever saw it and got confused at first! My apologies.

7 Likes

I feel bad that this is still an issue. It really isn’t that hard to create a Muslim character and if you do feel that it is hard then you can always ask people. I mean Google and social media exits for a reason. Sadly some people are just lazy and say: “I don’t know how to create an good Muslim character”

7 Likes

It will always be an issue unless people listen and actually try!

4 Likes

Oh and I wanted you to know thanks for being one of those people that promoted my threa son the Epi Forums. :hugs:

5 Likes

Thanks so much for this, Shadow!!! It’s really helpful advice :blush::two_hearts:

And they make it seem like Muslims are a freaking species of alien or something. They’re normal human beings for crying out loud :unamused:

6 Likes

I perfectly agree with the issue you stated. I do get discriminated against because I’m a black Muslim.

On the topic of marriage. I don’t get why women only have to marry Muslim men
 I mean, I do but what if they can’t find the right one? What if she’s had a traumatic experience with them and wants to stay away from them? Can you blame her? Will she be forced to marry a Muslim man?

10 Likes

My thoughts exactly

4 Likes

Same thing with black men, I’d be seen as a “self-hater” just because I had traumatic experiences with some of them. I tend to be cautious around them. Can you blame me?

5 Likes

But it really annoys the hell out of me when I see any Muslim character in a hijab wear clothes that aren’t 100% modest. You’re not suppose to wear sleeveless clothing or short skirts/dresses while wearing the hijab. I think Episode should add more cardigans for LL so it’d be easy for the author to add a cardigan over a sleeveless dress.

3 Likes

I love cardigans, especially the mid-sleeve ones. I also think that we need long skirts! And long dresses that look pretty and are not wedding dresses, without cleavage.

3 Likes

I know exactly how you feel.

Like I can’t trust Asian (Desi- Indian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani) & Arab men due to the traumatic experience I have with them. I never dated them but they have been horrible with their misogynistic attitude towards me. Same with black guys too. They have been rude to me just because I reject them.

3 Likes

Exactly.

I think Episode needs to add more modest and elegant clothing. I’m okay with the tank tops and skinny jeans but maybe add more loose jeans since some characters may not be comfortable with skinny jeans.

Usually skinny jeans are acceptable on hijabi women as long as they’re covering the butt. That can attract attention in some way.

3 Likes

Exactly :roll_eyes:

You’re Desi too, right?

2 Likes

Yes.

We are not race traitors for not wanting to be attracted to someone the same ethnicity. It’s our preference.

2 Likes

We need hoodies and sweatpants too, for the Muslims who like dressing comfortably at home during the winter (aka me!)

2 Likes

Naw, I honestly don’t really have preferences— I put my guard up around men in general. Some people have accused me of being a lesbian.

1 Like

Definitely! There has to be more winter clothing too. Like gloves!

Do you think Episode would allow burka & niqaab or will that be too controversial?

2 Likes

Yes, we need gloves! And maybe rings?

It’s Episode :joy: they’d make up a dumb excuse for it

2 Likes

I think there has to be an animation for praying so it wouldn’t look too strange.

Hmm probably they would make some excuse. But we’ll see what is the next update this Thursday.

2 Likes