The Second Quest (D&D) : Official Thread

Two towns have been feuding for almost as long as they’ve existed. There’s a rare magical artifact hiding in the ancient labyrinth between the two towns, and they both claim that they should gain control of the items inside. Unfortunately, neither of the towns have enough strong adventurers to actually investigate the labyrinth themselves, and most of the villagers try to avoid the labyrinth at all costs, believing that it’s cursed. Their conflict is spreading, and the feud is starting to affect trade and violence between the towns is at an all-time high. While no one’s forcing you to do anything, perhaps investigating that labyrinth and searching for the treasure inside will help end the feud while still getting some nifty rewards for yourself in the process.

A technical disclaimer–this will be using the D&D 5e rules, although they will be loosely applied based on my own terrible memory and what makes sense for RPing purposes. It will not be combat-heavy, however this will mean that character creation will be annoying, and the RP will be more rules-oriented in that way than others. Your characters can try to do pretty much everything, but they may not succeed. That’s the fun of it!

This RP is the sequel to Adventures with Dungeons and Dragons.

Links:
Faceclaims

8 Likes

Where we’re at:

The initial group of adventurers found themselves in a quaint little town called Fogforest and in the local bar for drinks when Arnold was scouted out by Kanithar, and the whole group got recruited to help solve an issue with burned crops and stolen livestock. After some investigation into the local lumber yard, the party eventually discovered the group of cultists that were poisoning some young dragons and causing them to act crazily. Although the motives of the cult are still unclear, the druid that was looking after the dragons ended up killing the local cult leader after discovering what they had done. Task completed, the party returned to town and claimed their reward for their help, which turned out to mostly be furniture. Begrudgingly, the party accepted the gifts from the mayor. While they were meeting with the mayor for this, the party met a fairly young gnome named Nyx (findable in the NPC section of the faceclaims) and was introduced to a new potential adventure. Although many of the people who had first started to help out with the mission weren’t interested in further adventures, several seemed intrigued by the offer.

Resuming where we left off:

If your character was not on the first mission, they will have to be in Nyx’s hometown of Northwood. While they may be there for several reasons, the local inn, dance hall, farmer’s market, and amphitheater tend to be the most popular places for travellers to the town to visit.

@Dungeoneers ~ sorry there’s a lot of info here, but I’d recommend reading at least the summary and the information immediately above this to help get yourself started if you’re not quite sure what’s going on

7 Likes

:herb: Faevyre Goltorah :herb:

I looked around very curiously and interested as I was entering the town of Northwood. I have seen a town or two from a distance, but never actually was in one, so everything was new and exciting to me. The town didn’t seem very big, but there were quite a lot of people around. Some of them were staring at me strangely and I didn’t really understood why, maybe because of my clothes which were made mostly of plants.

I looked up to check on Hector, who was following me from a few feet up in the sky. I whistled to him to come to me, so we wouldn’t lose sight of each other in the crowd, and after a few moments, he landed on my shoulder. While we were walking through the market, I picked up on the smell of different kinds of food, I turned to Hector. “Hey buddy, you are hungry?”, I asked and started following the smell towards the food.

Approachable (in the Market)

:kiss: Arianise :kiss:

I arrived to the town called Northwood, I planned maybe to stay here for at least a few days and then continue my journey. And since I didn’t knew anything about this town, I decided to find some useful information, and obviously the inn was the best place to find it, at least from my experience, so I walked straight there.

Once I entered the inn, I walked straight toward the bar and put 5 pieces of gold on the table. “Hello there. Could provide me with some information about this town?” I asked. “Is there something I should know? Like something fun to do around here or what to stay away from?”, I continued.

Approachable (in the inn, talking with barkeep) @passionfruit

6 Likes

Bartender

“There’s not much to know about here.” The bartender wasn’t particularly interested in conversation. “There’s been some buzz about the summer festival coming up soon, but you’re not going to be here long enough.” The bartender thought around for a minute. “Try to keep away from mischief, though, there’s been a lot of trouble happening in town lately.”

@Owertym ~ Arianise

5 Likes

64e9c274c6f3fb6b91debe3c425e860a.png

Nyx was rambling on and on about the furniture, though Quarion had already zoned out. How can someone get so excited over something as simple as dining chairs? He would’ve just preferred some gold as a reward, or even silver. Quarion wasn’t paying much attention to what Nyx was saying now, but it seemed they asked a question. Not knowing what to answer to a question he didn’t even hear, he proceeded to just ask a question in return.

“Can we not have a more decent reward? Maybe gold? I certainly wouldn’t mind.” - he rolled his eyes.

But it seems the gnome was now distracted by some newcomers at the inn. Being the hypocrite that he is, Quarion rolled his eyes at how easily distracted Nyx was. He looked over at the new adventurers, though one of them looked really familiar. Could it have been Silnum? Quarion found that hard to believe, as Silnum had already left the party. So what would he be doing here? Now curious, Quarion decided to join Nyx in talking to the newcomers.

@passionfruit ~ omg Nick iS THAT YOU-
@Secreterz ~ Silver, probably

4 Likes

cdc48e6aaeead089642f376c5f3b1107.png

Lura walked through the streets of Northwood, eyes fixed on the map in front of her. She was unsure if this was the town she was looking for, as the map wasn’t in very good condition. Though she bumped into quite a few people and poles while being distracted, she managed to make her way to what seemed like a market. It was pretty crowded and lively, though was to be expected, considering the upcoming summer festival.

The market was a perfect place to arrive, as she had needed a new map. Lura walked through the market, searching the stands for any possible maps to buy. But alas, it seemed like this was a farmer’s market. She sighed, defeated and without a clue as to what to do next. But then, an elf walking around with a bird on her shoulder caught her attention. Lura was happy to see another elf, so she quickly ran over and approached her. Perhaps she knows the way better than Lura does.

“Hiii! Sorry for bothering you, but is that your bird? It’s so cute!”

@Owertym ~ Faevyre Goltorah

6 Likes

While I was following the smell towards possible food, another elf girl approached me and complimented Hector. “Thank you, his name is Hector”, I said slightly smiling and gently scratched his chin. “And no, he is my friend, Not my bird”, I explained to her a little bit offended by her question. What does it even mean if he is mine? Like I own him like he is my thing or slave? “He is his own bird, he can do what he wants. I don’t own him” I added.

@idiot.exe - Lura

5 Likes

Arnold Berhart

Now, as most of the people weren’t very happy about the furniture, I was ecstatic. I mean, free furniture. How else am I supposed to fill up my house? I gave my address to the mayor, requesting he send it to my home. Also pretending that did something and didn’t just sit in the house with the dog and some hot chocolate. Which was extremely fun, but I still didn’t do much. I’m pretty sure Quarion ignored me for most of the walk back as he kept pretending I didn’t exist. But, as Quarion didn’t seem to be doing anything except for meeting some new people that I should have also been meeting. However, I was too busy taking care of Malachai, the dog Quarion had also COMPLETELY IGNORED.

I walk up to Quarion and tap him on the shoulder, Malakai following behind me on a leash because I’m his owner that he trusts. “Are you still mad at me for almost getting you guys killed? I know I’ve been a little absent lately, but we’re in a new group and I think we need to put aside our differences to really bring everyone together. And keep everyone alive. Which I’m sure will end up being my job.”

@idiot.exe hope you don’t mind me approaching Quarion I’m also not sure if the Silnum thing was a joke or not, but they can still join the conversation if they wish.
I can also totally delete this and have Arnold come in a different way. Sorry to be a bother.

5 Likes

Minyore’s eyes were heavy and her mind was confused as she stared at the torn-up map her younger sister Ellys had given her. Still, she was filled to the brim with enthusiasm and hope as she dragged her feet into the very town known as Northwood. Walking around, eager to get to know the people and adventure lurking in the town, she frolicked through the streets, waving to those who passed. Most people there seemed to pay no mind to her almost dancing. In fact, most of them waved back. The town wasn’t gigantic; truth be told, it was a bit smaller than she anticipated, but it was crowded and full of energy and people. There, she finally approached what seemed like a gigantic dance hall. As she gleefully skipped to the entrance, her body inevitably bumped into irritated people in the process. She was far beyond caring in her exuberance.

The dance hall was grand and noisy, and as expected from such a crowded town, stuffed with people. Minnie was in her cheerful spirits, looking around, seeing couples and friends twirl and frisk together. She made her way to the sides of the huge hall onto a wooden bench that lined the wall and sat on it, her mind with the music but her body limp and weary. She grabbed her backpack and dumped out its contents, including her very own wand, her reading book, her bottle of ink and ink pen, her spellbook (she always put those two separate so she wouldn’t get confused), a bag of sand, her spell scroll she practiced her spells on so she wouldn’t get rusty, and some spare parchment in case of emergency, as Minyore wasn’t particularly fond of writing anyways. She hastily darted her eyes around the building as she hid her quarterstaff and knife in her sleeve so she wouldn’t be accused of trying to stab anyone. The knife, although small, was shiny and sharp enough to cut through many things. It couldn’t kill anyone, but was more of a utility for Minnie, as she never liked resorting to attacking others anyways.

Looking over the contents, content that no one had stolen from her and none of her items were damaged noticeably, she packed them all back up and closed her backpack again to give herself a few minutes to rest. She was generally very trusting and gullible, so her brother and sister had warned her to be careful and not let anyone take advantage of her. It wasn’t going particularly well for her so far, however, as a half-orc beggar she had encountered while walking over to Northwood had begged for some gold, and while she put her backpack down to get it out, he lunged at her it, attempting to take all that she had. She had to pull out her pocket knife and use all of her strength to pry all of her worth out of one greedy man’s hands then ran for about a mile away from him, hence her obvious weariness when she finally reached safety.

Approachable

@Soleil you better approach Minnie in the dance hall :triumph:

5 Likes

cdc48e6aaeead089642f376c5f3b1107.png

Lura was a bit worried she’d come off as invasive. She feared that the elf would ignore her upon approaching. But luckily, she seemed to respond well. “Thank you, his name is Hector.” she smiled.

“That’s a nice name!” Lura commented. Just as she thought that this conversation was going well, she noticed the girl didn’t seem so happy now. “And no, he is my friend, Not my bird.” she paused. “He is his own bird, he can do what he wants. I don’t own him.”

Lura felt a bit embarrassed by this. She was just so used to people owning animals on the farms, she never stopped to think there were people who consider them friends. Panicked, she quickly blurted out a response. “Sorry! I didn’t mean to offend anyone! I just thought he was a farm animal- I mean! Like, a pet! Uh…” she paused, realising that she’s made this awkward now.

@Owertym ~ Faevyre Goltorah

Sorry for the late response! I have a lot of exams :sob:

4 Likes

Farm animal? Hmm… I think I did heard a little bit about that. There is people who owns animals like that, and some even forces them to work for them. That’s just horrible, I tought to myself and shaked my head a little bit.

After realising we both were just standing here awkwardly without saying anything to one another, I focused back on the girl. “Mmm, I guess there is people who do that, but I not” I explained to her.

After few more minutes of unnessesary talk about animals, nature and how I appreciate them, I cleared my throut realising that I got a little bit off-topic. “Anyways… You already met Hector, and my name is Faevyre”, I said.

@idiot.exe - Lura

That’s totally fine

3 Likes

Entering the inn, he looks around to see suspicious faces around as he guides the cloaked Analtheae inside the inn. Assuming the the group of people were of good intentions, he decided that both her and Silnum blend in the group of adventurers. Not a few minutes passing, there was a specific familiarity to the group he was in, was he with them before? Or is this his imagination going wild? As he was about to disregard these “imaginations”, he was shocked to find a familiar face, someone who he was at least fond of in the beggining of his adventure.

Silnum’s face flushed as the man was storming in, having second thoughts on wheter to go far and beyond to talk to the people he left. With Silnum left dumfounded, Analtheae noticed his stature being harder than usual; looking at the same viewpoint to his, “Is he one of your everyday dear endevours?” she said

“N-no! He’s someone that I know of… Before I found you!” Silnum flustered as he felt both shame and nervousness meeting them once again. But before he would make an action, Analtheae walked near Quarion. Silnum much more embarrassed, gulped in the emotions and gave Quarion a big hug as he went close to him, “Quarion!!! It’s been… I don’t know, many many days since I saw you! You looking well yourself!!” Silnum laughed as he swallowed the shame he felt as he knew that he could not go back. But as Analtheae scratched a bit of her throat, Silnum lightly placed him down as he calmed himself.

As she enters the inn with her identity sealed, she waited for Silnum’s signal of action as she anticipated for something to happen. She wanted to rest for the day, but she knew that life would never be over until she finds a home to fully protect her; and for now that is in the hands of her protector, Silnum. As she peeked a bit in her cloak, the forceful pull from Silnum was enough to trigger her as she was about to scold Silnum for not signaling the course of action, but Silnum pulled his hand as he covered her mouth.

Silnum signales safety, removing the cloak from her head. As she relaxed at the stressful state they were unto a few hours ago, he noticed the change in Silnum’s expression. The flustered cheeks, his eyes gazed sharply as a knife, the motionless body, the stiffness of this motionless body. She knew directly that this shift from a confident bodyuard to a demure lamb meant something, looking to the direction his eyes was sharply gazing upon. It was a man, like any others he have looked upon their journey.

“Is he one of your everyday dear endevours?”, Analtheae jokingly nudges him, to which he replied in pure embarrassment. Something wasn’t quite right in his emotions at that moment, making sure that this person may have meant so much more to him. Dearer than the other whom he courted on the way. As he gushes in panic, she swiflty walked to the man she desired to talk to as she knows that he would run away from the person he ws embarrassed to talk to. In her respects, she tapped the man in the shoulder and gently curtsied, “Greetings, my name is Analtheae Bedeatrynn. It seems as if my… dear friend is flustered to talk to you, do you have any familiarity with him?” She lightly replied as she pointed the tall horned man.

Stepping out a bit, knowing that Silnum would have no choice to turn back, waited for him to move forward and talk to the man he was shy about. But beyond her expectations, his attitude then shifted as he hugged the man. To her suprise, this familiarity was more than she could expect, as he was usually more calm in conversations; granted, “calm” was appropriately tailored by his raunchy personality. Normally the hugs that were usually different and not seen by her. As the loudmouthed Silnum goes on, she lighty scratched her throat, “So it seems like you know each other… Close enough to see this side of him.”

@idiot.exe || Quesedilla since the two need u XD

6 Likes

:crystal_ball: Arianise :crystal_ball:

The bartender answered to me, but he seemed not really interested in the conversation, well neither did I. But the man, who just got paid 5 gold, should look more cheerful, at least in my opinion. “You got it mixed up. It’s other way around…”, I said after his explanation. “…Anyways, what kind of trouble?”, I asked a little bit interested. Potentioly is something fun and worth my time.

@passionfruit - The Bartender

5 Likes

Bartender

The bartender started looking around for other customers, but the middle of the day was never the most popular time for the bar. In the relative quiet time happening now, he decided to just talk to them for a minute. “We’ve been just having some trouble lately with the neighboring towns. We get a lot of people travelling between the two, and we’ve always tried to stay neutral within their conflict, but that’s just made us a target. Some kids from the other towns have been coming by, getting into fights, and throwing rocks through windows. We’ve also just had trouble with kids going into the caves outside of town, it’s not a safe place for them to be travelling.”

@Owertym ~ Arianise

5 Likes

Running her fingers through her thin brown hair, Loravyre sighed as she scanned the streets of Northwood. Her adventurous spirit had placed her here after a series of visits to nearby towns. She patted her knapsack, ensuring the safety of her prized harp, and tugged her hair behind her ears. Two days was too long for her to go without playing. After finding a clean corner with a bit of shade to block the sun, she carefully sat down and pulled out her instrument, placing the base in her lap. She closed her eyes for a moment to brush the soft strings with her tense fingertips. Loravyre began to play a simple melody and grinned at a few children who ran past her. Where were their parents? she wondered. Furrowing her eyebrows, she tried to remember her parents – what they looked like, what they sounded like. The melody slowly faded as she snapped out of her own thoughts. Quickly spotting commotion near the dance hall, she was naturally compelled. Placing her harp back into her sack, she began making her way toward there.

The music grew louder as she walked closer. I should be in there, making myself known to these people, she thought to herself. It had been a while since her last dance and she anticipated her steps might be a bit rusty. Infatuated by the energy and liveliness, Loravyre raced indoors, embracing the vibrant atmosphere. Families, couples, and friends alike, they all seemed to belong. She felt a hint of emptiness, realizing everyone was sharing the spotlight with her. Sweeping her eyes across the room, she noticed a short girl with thick long black hair – maybe around 3 to 4 feet tall – and from the looks of it, a gnome. The girl seemed to be tidying herself up and shuffling through her belongings.

Carefully avoiding the swinging arms and rapid movement from the other dancers, Loravyre twirled until she was face-to-face with the girl.

“Are you here alone?”

5 Likes

I tried to listen to what the bartender was saying but got bored after the first sentence. So I was not really paying attention anymore, and just looked around to see how much people were in the Inn and what they were doing. I was still able to hear some things, like neighboring towns, kids, and caves.

After he finished talking, I looked at him confused, and making face expression like saying ‘Seriously?’. “They are kids, what do you expect? They are always throwing rocks and doing other similar sh*t”, I said. “Also if they are going into the caves, so they are most likely to get eaten by some monsters or whatever anyways. So it seems to me that your problem with troublemaking kids gonna sort itself out eventually”, I added.

@passionfruit - The Bartender

4 Likes

One of the newcomers that Nyx had noticed seemed to already be familiar with Quarion. The other newcomer, a pretty elf, didn’t seem to be too sure of what was happening. After the tiefling hugged Quarion, Nyx decided to come over and interject. “Hi! I’m Nyx, one of Quarion’s friends.” They smiled and stuck out their hand for a handshake. The handshake wasn’t really optional, though, as they firmly grabbed onto the tieflings hand and shook it vigorously. “What’s your name? You look like the adventuring sort, so I bet you have a cool story to tell. You should tell it to me, it’s just so boring here. I wish that I could go on some adventure like you, I’ve always wanted to go on one, but my family always needs me at home. I’d be such a good adventurer, though, I’ve been practicing with weapons for a while. Still, I bet you could take me in a fight.” Nyx ran around the group over towards the pretty elf. “Hi! What’s your name? You look super powerful, what can you do? Can you show it to me?” Nyx was practically bouncing up and down from the excitement of getting to see all these adventurers. Sure, they’d met some before, but they were usually a lot more hostile or just ignored Nyx’s questions. Nyx felt like this crowd might actually listen, though. Maybe they’d even be willing to help.

@Secreterz ~ Silnum (“tiefling”) & Analtheae (“pretty elf”)
@Skyler2 ~ Arnold (in the scene)
@idiot.exe ~ Quarion (mentioned)

Bartender

“It’s just been a particular issue around here recently that we didn’t used to have. It seems like it’s becoming more violent, but hopefully it sorts itself out. We shouldn’t have to have tons of kids die searching for something that doesn’t even exist before harmony is restored here.” A customer finally walked in and headed towards the bar. “Now, did you want to book a room or get some food or should I help out this customer?”

@Owertym ~ Arianise

6 Likes

Minyore was just putting away her items in her brown knapsack when she saw a girl about 10 feet away from her. Her hair was brown and wispy, her skin fair and pale like the moonlight, and her eyes inquisitive, glassy, and as green as they come. The girl noticed her, and something in her eyes seemed to light up as she deftly twirled through all the dancers before she was finally face-to-face with the stranger. From here, Minnie could see the girl’s elf ears and red blotched lipstick. She found herself unusually flustered as she looked up at this girl almost twice her height.

“Are you here alone?”

The girl asked the question in such a casual tone, like she was a natural at conversation, but Minnie stammered to answer, almost like she was tripping over her own words.

“Uh- uh… Yes I am. I… I came to visit family.”

Minnie felt the rosiness rise up in her cheeks; here she was, stammering over her words like she was a toddler again. She cleared her throat then looked back up at the half-elf standing in front of her. She had to get the conversation flowing less awkwardly.

“How about you? Are you a local here?”

@Soleil sOcIaL aNxIeTy

5 Likes

“Well if kids keeps wandering into the caves, then monsters will probably kill or eat them. So the kid trouble will sort itself out”, I simply said without feeling any remorse or anything like that. “But if no one deals with the monsters, I assume that one day they will reach the town and kill you all”, I said shrugging. “If there is some kind of monsters in the caves in the first place”, I added.

“Well I don’t have any coins at the moment”, I said checking my pouch just to be sure. “It is included in the coins I paid you for information?”, I asked. “If that so, then I would like a room, some food and an ale”, I just started ordering without waiting for response. “And if it’s not, then I can just kill you and take whatever I want”, I added with a shrug. Then I glanced at the person approaching us.

@passionfruit - Bartender and Approaching customer

5 Likes

e7112bb4f4d30423934629d500322d61

All Kathelia could remember from the quest she joined was chaos. Well, that’s natural for an adventure, but she didn’t expect the diversity of self-motivations the group she was in had… not that she even is innocent to clear herself off of it. She didn’t know what she was supposed to feel after that, but that didn’t matter—what’s important was that she made it alive. Of course she will; with the determination running in her veins, she would even try to bargain with death just to live again.

They just finished their adventure, but it seemed like they were going to be on another one again. The mention of “prize” got her interested in what was coming next; however, what she was admittedly expecting to be gold turned out to be something… not really useful to her. What was she supposed to do with furnitures? All hopes and expectations of buying adventure necessities were cut off, and the only thing she could think about right now was the inn back in her hometown. If she accepted the award, how would she get it to Damara? Kathelia wasn’t ecstatic about it either—the last she saw the inn, it was packed with barrels and woods; its owner wasn’t really one to fix that problem, anyway.

She let out a small sigh, a bit hesitant to have the presents in her arms. She didn’t want to seem ungrateful about it, just like how one member of her party had been. Ah, him. She shook her head, watching as he complained about what they got. Not interested in listening to them anymore, she departed from the bunch and decided to take a time for herself. Maybe she should reward her stomach instead…

Approachable

5 Likes