Word of the Day! ✨

Word of the Day!
:sparkles: for vocabulary :sparkles:

Welcome! :white_heart:

My name is Nin, I’m a sucker for words, this will be a thread for vocabulary enrichment, and I will be here everyday to help you with that! As the title suggests, there will be words given each day so make sure to keep an eye on this thread!

So… how will this work?

• Everyday, I will be posting a new word that I think should be added to your vocabulary (and yes, I’m going to assume for that). If you want to be tagged for every word, make sure to answer the poll that I will be making below! Or if you want, you can just put this thread on watching :wink:
  • For every word that I give, there will be an included:
    • Definition
    • Pronunciation
    • Antonyms and Synonyms
    • How to use them in a sentence or an example of the word used in a sentence
  • There will also be a little activity every day. I will ask you, the people who are interested in this thread, to make a sentence out of the day’s word. Then, people can decide who used it the best by liking the sentence they like.
    • For this to work, I will have to ask everyone not to spam like those sentences xD
    • I’m choosing this instead of a poll because I though it would look much more like @/CrazyCaliope’s weekly descriptive sentence challenge.
    • Also it will clog the thread with daily polls lemaw*
    • In every month that will pass by, I will count who has the most “best sentence”
      and name them the “Word Master” :sunglasses:

* I might actually just put a poll below so you guys can decide whichever you prefer

More thoughts…

• This thread is still in the process of developing, so if you have any suggestions or concerns, feel free to DM me!
  • You can, of course, suggest a word to be featured and shared!
  • For all of the above, I’ve made a form so we won’t clog anywhere. For the first part, you can do either that or do the forms—whichever you prefer will be okay.

Thank you and have a pleasant day! :white_heart:

@passionfruit
@idiot.exe
@DazzledSnowFlake

18 Likes

If you want to be tagged daily, click on this poll and I will take note of your username. If you ever don’t want to be anymore or clicked this by mistake, just tell me!

• Tag me

0 voters

Should I do this or put up a daily poll instead?

• Put a daily poll
  • Stick to it

0 voters

4 Likes

hello nin

2 Likes

Yes, hello, Ebee

2 Likes

This is an awesome idea!

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

I didn’t know :man_dancing::no_bicycles:

4 Likes

but my profile-

It’s my shortened nickname :star_struck: nickname of my nickname of my name

2 Likes

:sparkles: Word of the Day || October 23, 2020 :sparkles:

Allay
al·​lay | /əˈlā/
past participle: allayed; present participle: allaying

Definition

— (verb) to put to rest or reduce intensity, especially of strong emotions (such as fear or worry)

Thesaurus

Synonyms

• alleviate
  • assuage
  • relieve
  • soothe
  • mitigate

Antonyms

• aggravate
  • intensify
  • exacerbate

Allay in a Sentence

Since the word is usually used to describe the action of a strong emotion’s intensity, the sentences it will go to will be sentences like these:

• Jodi appearing beside Paul didn’t help allay Mary’s jealousy.
  • What she thought would allay the suspicions of her friends only made it worse.

Make your own Sentence!

How do you like today’s word? Is it a new addition to your vocabulary or did it help you refresh it, at least? In any way, I would like ask you to make your own sentence using our word of the day: allay!

You will have 2020-10-23T06:00:00Z2020-10-24T02:00:00Z ; the remaining four hours will be for the poll that will let you decide who used our daily word the best! Happy sentencing!

@TheDancingFryer @Eliza @Mouschi @Littlefeets @idiot.exe @passionfruit @Soleil

11 Likes

Omg it rhymes with my name :star_struck::star_struck::heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I am trying to allay my stress levels rn :star_struck::star_struck::hot_face:

5 Likes

staring at a wall

2 Likes

ik I stalk bios :man_dancing:

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of this word before :star_struck: I’ll try to make a sentence with it later

1 Like

I’ve heard of this one before :star_struck:

Hearing her girlfriend’s voice over the phone as she started walking helped to allay her fears about walking by herself.

5 Likes

@TheDancingFryer @Eliza @Mouschi @Littlefeets @idiot.exe @passionfruit @Soleil @CerealKiller

Any more? I’ll be waiting for a few more minutes :eyes:

4 Likes

Never thought there’s a word for that :joy:

3 Likes

Okay! So it seems only @passionfruit wrote a sentence using our word of the day. Since we can’t put a poll with only one entry, I will gladly announce her sentence as the “sentence of the day.”

Hearing her girlfriend’s voice over the phone as she started walking helped to allay her fears about walking by herself.

Congratulations, Passie! :white_heart:

@TheDancingFryer @Eliza @Mouschi @Littlefeets @idiot.exe @passionfruit @Soleil @CerealKiller @astxrism @unsungcheerio @Rein @DazzledSnowFlake

The word of the day for October 24, 2020 will be posted soon :smiley:

6 Likes

did you not see my sentence :cry:

4 Likes

Oop- I’m so sorryyyyy

I will put up a poll :’((

@TheDancingFryer

@passionfruit

• @/TheDancingFryer’s
  • @/passionfruit’s

0 voters

This was a mess, but still : D

@TheDancingFryer @Eliza @Mouschi @Littlefeets @idiot.exe @passionfruit @Soleil @CerealKiller @astxrism @unsungcheerio @Rein @DazzledSnowFlake

I swear I will fix -.-

7 Likes