Art Critique Thread

If you want to post something you did, be it a sketch or finished work, old or new I’ll be happy to give critiques here. If you’re wondering, I am qualified to give criticism and feedback to art from college and time spent in several artist communities. I’ve taken some harsh criticism myself and it’s made me a lot better because of it.

Anyone else is welcome to give Critique so long as they are fair and balanced, and those that I give will be detailed and helpful - that I promise.

Also if you’re on the fence about posting something, just do it! I can promise you it isn’t as bad as you think it is, and you can always learn something from the work you do!

22 Likes

Any criticism on getting better. I know the eyes suck…this piece is not my best but I’m curious to see everyone’s thoughts.

5 Likes

So, the eyes are a little iffy, though its the nose and mouth too. It’s quite a normal art Critique though, blending the shading with confident single stroke linework. I think it’s definitely a good start, and I love the idea of the piece. The colour grade is also pretty solid. Deep brown through orange is a striking grade especially with how saturated you have them.

I’m about to head to bed but if you’d like more in-depth feedback and ways to improve I can give some more tomorrow? I would say the way to improve really at this point would be study a lion’s face a bit. Do some sketches and rough out the shape to really get the anatomy down.

Draw some lion eyes too, separately. They have very gorgeous eyes! It would bring the piece out a lot

5 Likes

Google images is your friend, plenty of really good lion pictures to use as reference :lion::lion:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the help! I’m gonna do a lion study now. :heart:

3 Likes

Anytime! I’ll give more pointers tomorrow, but have fun :grin:

I did the same for wolves recently, it’s so much fun

4 Likes

I tried out your suggestion. So I attempted a lion study of the eye. This is what happened…

Time: 19 mins
App: Ibis
Device: phone

10 Likes

Oh dang! Those highlights are solid!

I was gonna give more pointers and tips and stuff but I think I can let you improve like that to be honest, that eye is really really good. If you keep at it with study and practice, your lion face will really come together!

Again, I need to say again. Those highlights

5 Likes

I know it DEFINITELY needs some work but yeah. I haven’t finished the lips completely yet but ya know

8 Likes

It’s a nice practice piece using the episode style for sure. I would go into more detail but I’m not the biggest fan of the episode style in general, so even when done well I tend to lean towards advice like 'keep working on it! Draw from life!" etc.

One thing I can say though, sketch with a thicker brush preset. It took me ages to figure that out. Then work on each line being confident and done in a single stroke. It sometimes takes a while to perfect that single stroke style, sketching lots is pretty much required but it really is worth it

3 Likes

Keep it up all the same, and if you enjoy drawing in the episode style then all the power to you! :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Baby thot! That’s so gorgeous! (I know this reply was off-topic)

2 Likes

Hey @ChaoticDeluge I’m back. Any tips? Oh and yeah I suck at noses and realism! :joy:

4 Likes

It’s getting there! To be honest realism isn’t my area either really xD

The fur texture at the edges of the face are actually real nice, they’re definitely really coming along nicely. And the eyes work a lot better now. Working on lining up the nose would be good next and how light would play across the face maybe? Right now it’s unclear where the light is coming from.

It may also be a good idea to try blending in the shading a little more. Right now it’s very sharp and dark.

As I say though, its coming along for sure! I still love the idea

4 Likes

I did a thing. I need to get into the habit of posting new stuff when I do it, and this is a decent place for that

10 Likes

It isn’t done yet, but…

1ec1731627ff964ad9c031db86d70b843bb688da_2_281x499

:sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I can see its using the episode style, again I’m not the best to give constructive criticism, though the line work is coming along!
I also like the pose, it’s fairly dynamic. The shoulder and hip lines aren’t parallel and it makes it look real good

2 Likes

wOt—
How are you so good at that lmfao :sneezing_face:

3 Likes

Haha, thank you for the compliment!

Practice. Nothing but practice, patience, and hard work :muscle:

4 Likes