Trouble In Mayday- outside the box{Miscs}

It is 2001 when nine high school students from different social cliques find themselves in detention on a typical Saturday morning. The atmosphere is tense as they are forced to spend a day together with no phones, no devices, and no board games to keep them company. Just themselves; a jock, a prep, a nerd, a goth, a rebel, two floaters, a stoner, and a hipster, to keep each other company. But everyone knows jocks don’t mess with nerds and gorgeous rich preps do not mess with stoners or hipsters, so how are they supposed to survive with just them and not go against the social quo?

hihihi so this thread can b used for like writing with the npcs (till they come into play in the main, as right now the main characters are in detention), writing flashbacks, unfinished conversations, even fanfics, sometimes ill post diary entries from Alissa/ her convos with Dior. (make sure to indicate if it’s canon or fanfic, a flashback or an unfinished convo)

(also this will help in case you’re out of loop with convos so bye)

links

official thread: <<Trouble in mayday>> Official Roleplay thread
singups and chats: <<<Trouble in Mayday>>>| signups & chats

4 Likes

Joshua Fujita - The Music Man

Joshua’s alarm blasts in his ear, but he wakes up with a smile because he knows he has an exciting day ahead. With a hop and a skip, he jumps out of bed and stretches.

Heading to the bathroom, he splashes cold water on his face to perk himself up. He grabs his toothbrush and eagerly squeezes a big glob of toothpaste on it, scrubbing his teeth happily to get rid of morning breath. Today is the day. He Joshua happily thought.

Traipsing to his room to get his guitar, he found himself starting his day with a cup of black tea again, and started a few chords on his guitar. Dressed in his favorite jeans and a comfortable t-shirt, he was ready to take on the world.

As he sips his tea, Joshua strums his guitar and hums a melody, getting his voice warmed up for his upcoming performance. The morning feels alive with the sound of music and he can’t help but smile. 7:46, making good time Joshua thought as his younger brother James sleepily entered the kitchen.

With a skip in his step and a guitar in his hand, he gathers all his gear for his gig at the local coffee shop. He grabs his notebook and pens to jot down any new song ideas that may come to him.

On the way, he stops by a florist to grab a small bouquet of flowers to show his appreciation to the owner of the coffee shop. The owner always welcomes him with open arms and a big smile.

Arriving at the coffee shop, he sets up his gear and starts to play his original songs. The sound fills the coffee shop, and people start to fill the seats. Joshua loves bringing joy to people through music and often chats with his fans, even taking song requests. His music has already brought smiles to people’s faces and he can’t help but feel fulfilled.

4 Likes

+dior: flashback

It was summer, meaning they had a lot of time, Dior sat crossed on Alissa’s bed legs crossed eating a cookie really slowly- it was the first cookie she had since she came to Alissa’s house, not wanting to eat too much. Dior was recovering, she really was and was doing better lately, she was weight restored after all- or soon to be and she was going to eat more cookies but old habits die hard.

Alissa sat with papers scrambled, her eyes on them, “Senior year is coming, we are finally going to be happy.” She told Dior with a smile, “Everyone will be safe and we can be true to ourselves.” Alissa continued- true to themselves was something Dior never imagined to be possible. Ever since she got into high school, Dior had to be everything she was not- to appease the school, to make sure middle school was not repeated again, to be at the top. She was still very hesitant about all this, because what if it backfired on them? What if it completely ruins their reputation? Dior would do anything for her reputation, there were two things that were really important to Dior, Alissa and her reputation, and sometimes Dior knows she puts her reputation above Alissa but Alissa is the person she cares most for.

“True to ourselves?” Dior smiled, “And you don’t have to be with him anymore,” Dior said talking about Alissa’s boyfriend, “Once this is over, we will hopefully be freed, we will make the news and become more popular.” Alissa frowned at the last part.

“It’s not just about popularity Dior, it’s about us and the school. The students need to know the type of school they are actually in, save themselves before something bad happens.”

“I know it’s not about Popularity Alissa,” She holds Alissa’s hands, “It’s just you know,” And alissa nodded because she did know. She knew Dior, she wrapped her hands around Dior in a hug.

“I’m a little scared,” She admitted,

“I am too.” Dior said her eyes closed as she hugged Alissa.

“I just found out something too, something that might prevent or help us.”

“What is it?” Dior asked curious. Alissa gave her a nervous look before she whispered into her ear and Dior grabbed her by the shoulders, giving her a disappointed and betrayed look.

“You weren’t supposed to fcking do that, Alissa! We never agreed on you doing that.”

“I know, I know but.” Dior packed her things, “Dior were are you going?”

“I don’t want to hear it, leave me alone, you never told me you were going to do that,” She said as she opened the door, Alissa rushed after her as Dior reached the door.

4 Likes

Ria was feeling a bit down today, she had broken up with her boyfriend who had been quite a jerk. See, Ria knew that her ex was a man who was painted in red, waving a red flag but she had ignored the signs. Probably, because at first it seemed that her boyfriend was the only person who saw her as her and she did not really have to suck up too, he loved all her weirdness he would always say and yet he went ahead and did the shxt he did- making fun of her in front of his friends for their validation and approval. He had let his friends touch her sketchbook though he knew that she was not comfortable with most people touching her sketchbook- it was her most prized possession after all and it would have been fine, Ria would have moved on been a little angry but moved on because she did not want to destroy what she and her ex had, if not for her ex ripping out pages of her sketchbook to give to his friends to make paper airplane and when she got angry he told her to chill out and stop behaving like a freak- saying it was probably part of the reason she did not have many real friends.

That was true, Ria was a freak but hearing him say it- the one who told her he loved every day broke her heart and at first she brushed it off, letting out a few awkward giggles. But her ex seeing the looks of his friends laughing, he had continued poking fun of her under the guise of ‘jokes’ and ria had enough, she burst into tears and broke up with him. Embarrassing she knows.

Right now she was currently in a coffee shop drawing when suddenly, a boy someone she recognized to be from her school started playing the guitar. Ria tapped her fingers on the table as he played- he was really good. She should draw him! She thought and that is indeed what she did. She was almost about to finish drawing him when the boy stood up to leave and before he could go, Ria held him by the arm, “Please don’t go,” she started, “I was almost done drawing you.”

@Tina.G

3 Likes

Joshua smiled, a blush creeping up his cheeks. He had never been approached by someone who wanted to draw him before. “Really? You were drawing me?” he asked, trying to mask his surprise.

Joshua adjusted the strap of his guitar case, “Okay,” he said, heading towards her table. She seemed familiar, but Joshua couldn’t place it. He was always surrounded by people for performances and that wasn’t even counting the people he strive to meet at school. He loved people, almost as much as he loved music. “Is it alright if I take a seat?” He asked, pointing at the chair across from her.

@Kristi

2 Likes

Ria nodded very hard that it felt like her head would fall off when he asked if she was drawing him. Yes, Ria was drawing him, “I always draw people I find interesting,” Ria told him. She did not if it was weird to tell someone that, someone that she had not ever interacted with before that she founds hims interesting, especially because what if he takes it the wrong way? Ria just thought he was really cool- he played the guitar extremely well and it lifted up her mood. “Your very good at the guitar, thank you.” Why Ria was thanking him might seem weird to him, but it was normal to Ria after all he did lift up her mood from her breakup. It was also fun drawing him, Joshua was in no shape or form easy to draw, he had very distinct facial features but he was fun to draw especially with the guitar, he looked like a rock star Ria saw on tv.

Ria blinked when Joshua asked if he could take a seat, “Of course, it will be better can you umm hold your guitar like your playing it, please? Thank you.” She asked as she sat down grabbing her sketchbook as she drew him. Ria would have preferred to work in silence, but she felt like it would be awkward for Joshua so she asked, “For how long have you been playing?”

@Tina.G

2 Likes

Joshua couldn’t help but smile at girls words. It was a welcome change from the usual interactions he had with people. Or, a least the people at home called family. She seemed genuine and kind—two qualities that Joshua valued highly in others. He felt a sense of warmth wash over him when she mentioned that she found him interesting. In a world where people seemed to judge each other based on superficial things, it was refreshing to meet someone who looked beyond that.

When she mentioned that she was drawing him, Joshua was curious. He had never been the subject of someone’s art before, and it intrigued him. It was a 180 for him, other people and things have always been the center of his art. He felt a sudden surge of pride when she praised his guitar skills. Playing the guitar was something that Joshua was passionate about, and hearing her compliment made him feel appreciated. As she spoke, Joshua found himself looking at her in a new light. She was beautiful, but it wasn’t just her physical appearance that had caught Joshua’s attention. It was her gentle nature, her genuine interest in getting to know him, and her passion for art. Joshua couldn’t help but feel drawn to her.

“Thank you,” Joshua said, his voice filled with gratitude. “That means a lot. I’m glad that my music wasn’t just background noise.” He chuckled a bit, even as he casually said his greatest fear.

“Of course, it will be better can you umm hold your guitar like your playing it, please? Thank you.” A big dopey grin a spread across Joshua’s face, as he gently placed his guitar case on his side of the table. He clicked the chest open, memorized by the thrill of this instrument for a second before cradling it in his arms. He put the strap over his head, and held as if reading to play. He never actually found the time to sit, he had completely forgotten about it already. “For how long have you been playing?”

Joshua couldn’t help himself, he started strumming quite and simple cords. “Well, I’ve always liked singing. So, practically since I was three or something.” He pondered, trying to remember the years he had chosen music over—over almost everything. “And guitar? I think I was eleven, and now I’m eighteen. So,” his playing slowed, as he looked as his fingers, as if using them to count. “Oh wow, seven years. Time flies when you do what you love.” He shrugged, starting up with the slow and steady tempo of cords again. “How long have you been drawing?” Joshua offered up, ready to keep the conversation alive.

@Kristi • Ria

3 Likes

Flashback

Victor wondered how a dish could be so tasteless and bitter at the same time. The presentation was lovely, like a work of art, but with every bite he took, Victor felt like he was chewing on cardboard.

It was all he could think about ever since he stepped foot inside the mansion. How everything seemed so glamorous, but still managed to give him a sense of unease. From the tailored suit with a collar so tight it was strangling his neck, to the enormous chandelier dangling above his head. His father, whom he had just met a month ago, wrapped his arm around Victor’s frail shoulders, lips spilling compliments, praising the qualities that Victor didn’t even know he possessed.

Despite hating the food, Victor kept on eating to not engage in the conversation. The conversation about his father’s victory in court, with the help of one talented lawyer, Mr Montgomery. The man tore his mother to shreds, leaving her stammering with cold sweat dripping down her temples. If he hadn’t lived with her all of these times, he would have been convinced that she was a bad person just by the man’s words. But Victor didn’t matter, he never had a say in these kinds of things. The judge was persuaded, and he was stripped away from the comfort of his mother’s embrace and tossed into an unfamiliar place.

A celebration was organized, just a small gathering between two families. Sitting across from the table was Mr Montgomery’s daughter. Her name was Willow, and she was the same age as him, that was all Victor knew. He didn’t try to speak to her, not exactly in the mood for it, but would occasionally throw her glances with no purpose other than just to shift his attention somewhere else.

Once the adults had indulged in too much wine, as their laughter and raunchy jokes filled out the room, Victor found an opportunity to escape. He excused himself to go to the bathroom without actually knowing where it was, then sprinted away from the dining room.

He found himself at the end of the dark corridor, away from everything too bright and loud.

@idiot.exe - Willow Montgomery

5 Likes

Flashback

Throughout the celebration, Willow could only sit in silence and observe. She wasn’t much too interested in her parents’ work, yet she was often brought along to these kinds of gatherings. A way to thank her father for a job well done, she was told. She admired her father, how he could rescue a poor boy from his mother just with his words alone. Because of his hard work, the boy, Victor could now live where he belonged. In luxury with his loving father. She admired the job her parents did, bringing justice to the world. Though unlike them, she wasn’t as confident and well-spoken. She wanted to help people, but that job didn’t suit her. Willow was well aware that one day she’d have to follow in their footsteps. Though she was still in middle school, she had time, she thought.

Willow glanced across the dining table a few times, looking at Victor. For some odd reason, he seemed quiet and distant. Compared to the cheerful banter the adults shared, he only seemed to focus on eating the food. Maybe he was shy and unsure of what to say, maybe he felt overwhelmed, but there was something off about the way he acted. Willow wanted to speak to him, but she couldn’t get the chance to. Well, she could barely see the point in it, he would probably find her odd. She was dressed in her fanciest dress, covered in bright floral patterns. From the outside, she didn’t stand out from the rest of the guests. But on the inside, she never felt like she truly fit in with the rest.

As Victor excused himself to the bathroom, Willow saw an opportunity to finally talk to him in a more quiet place. Even though she didn’t know anything about him, aside from his name, she couldn’t help but wonder what’s been on his mind the entire night. It could’ve been Willow making assumptions, but he didn’t seem particularly fond of the celebration.

She’d been quiet the whole night as well, so she easily slipped outside the room unnoticed. She followed Victor from a distance, waiting for an opportunity to speak to him. Now what was even stranger, was that he seemed lost. He wandered the mansion almost aimlessly, even though it was supposed to be his home. As Victor stopped at the end of a dark corridor, Willow paused in her steps. She hid behind a wall, so he doesn’t notice she’s been following him just yet.

After a few seconds, she showed her face and slowly approached him with a smile. “Victor, right? What are you doing out here alone?” she asked, walking closer. “Is something wrong?” Willow wasn’t sure if he’d even want to speak to her, but there was nothing else for her to do during the celebration. She could only hope it would work.

@Gwi × Victor Lee

4 Likes

There was a toy store next to his mother’s laundromat. Victor remembered the expensive porcelain dolls that were displayed in glass cabinets, out of the children’s touch. Willow reminded him of those dolls, with her pale skin, big blue eyes, and a dress that looked like it came straight out of a fairytale.

He knew she was following him, Victor had always been observant with his surroundings. The noise her heels made against the cold hard floor was subtle but didn’t go unnoticed. Despite that, he didn’t make any attempts to stop her. She was a kid just like him, and probably couldn’t bear to sit through hours of “adult conversation”. Nevertheless, when she came out from behind the wall to speak to him, Victor still jumped a little. It was unsettling to him to be in the dark with someone he didn’t know. Willow’s voice was soft and he imagined her blue eyes were filled with curiosity, but Victor couldn’t stop himself from feeling wary, thinking that she might want to extract some information from him. Like how her father did.

Victor didn’t turn his back to face Willow. He fumbled the wall in front of him until his fingers touched a velvet surface. The curtains were drawn open with a little bit of force, and moonlight started shining through the glass window. It danced on his palms, then reached its way to Willow’s dress, where it made the fabric iridescent.

His eyes lingered on the sight for a few seconds before he replied to her question:

“It felt stuffy in there. And…this suit is uncomfortable. But I think it’s more pleasant than the dress you are wearing.”

4 Likes

Flashback

Willow found the dark hallway quite comforting. There was something so fascinating about the darkness, how the inability to see your surroundings could bring out a person’s worst fears. Yet, Willow found comfort in it. It was quiet and there was a feeling of peace in the dark. What also played a part was Willow’s fascination with her imagination. She was rarely scared by what she saw, only curious. Perhaps, that was why she often felt like an outcast.

Once Victor opened the curtains and moonlight faintly illuminated the room, Willow’s thoughts were interrupted. She still kept her distance, facing the boy. How interesting, that he seemed to feel just as uncomfortable and out of place as Willow did. Maybe she got the wrong impression of him. There seemed to be more to him than what she initially saw. And curious as ever, Willow was determined to uncover just why.

Willow stepped forward. “Um, my dress is a bit bright. But it isn’t uncomfortable.” she replied. “I’m not really used to dressing up like this, though…” she added, a bit quieter. She wanted to say, they had a similar reason for leaving the dining room. Though she was never too comfortable sharing her thoughts. It wasn’t her goal, to begin with. She followed Victor in order to dive deep into his mind. Maybe she was just nosy and wondered about things that weren’t her business. But she felt like something was off about him, so of course she wanted to trust her gut instinct, as illogical as it was.

“My dad told me a bit about your case. How does it feel?” she asked, smiling. Though she didn’t quite understand her father’s full explanation, she got the gist of the situation. She couldn’t imagine what Victor’s life was like before his father won the case. She barely knew a thing about his mother, aside from the fact that she was cruel and unfit to raise a child. How lucky that he got her father as a lawyer. It only made her look up to him more.

@Gwi × Victor Lee

4 Likes

Victor smiled. The dress looked like it was made with fine materials, so there was a low possibility that it would bring any itchiness or rashes to the wearer. What he meant was, and Willow also stated it, the dress was bright. The amount of attention it brought would certainly bug him if he were the one to wear it. He wondered to himself if kids like Willow got trained to get used to the spotlight. Maybe that was why she could wear it with ease.

Without any particular reasons, not that he could think of one, Victor reached up his hand to fix the perfectly straight collars. He knew he was imagining things. The suit was custom-made and tailored to fit him, and yet he couldn’t get rid of the strangling feelings on his neck. It must be the number of eyes laid on him from the start of this evening that had caused this.

Once he heard Willow’s question, his suspicion about her spiked up again. The judge had already made their decision to give him to his father, but Victor wasn’t sure if his words could get his mother into any more trouble. He didn’t know that much about law, but from what he had witnessed during court, Willow’s father had a specialty of twisting words.

He darted his eyes somewhere else:

“I feel like… the story your father told… wasn’t mine.” He gulped, hoping that she didn’t think that he was accusing her father of something, while he was indeed doing it. “At first, they called me in to talk, but then I wasn’t requested again because apparently, I was an unreliable witness.”

“Is that even possible?” He asked Willow.

4 Likes

Flashback

Willow noticed the boy adjusting his collar. She realized he was likely uncomfortable, or nervous to speak to her. She started to feel a bit bad for intruding on him, following him to a dark hallway where he couldn’t turn back. She turned her head down a bit, avoiding direct eye contact.

As Victor began to answer Willow’s question, her eyes went wide briefly. There had to have been a mistake. She wanted to believe Victor was telling the truth, but how could her father be wrong? He was an experienced, well liked lawyer. If his work were flawed, then their family wouldn’t have been invited to the dinner to begin with. She furrowed her brows and tilted her head, surprise turning to confusion as she looked at Victor.

“I don’t think I understand…” she asked. Noticing he avoided looking at her, paired with his nervous mannerisms, proved that there was really something off. Willow had a feeling from the start, now she could finally get a confirmation.

“My father is great at his job. He would never make a mistake like that.” she responded, this time gaining enough confidence to raise her voice to a normal level. She had no reason to shy away when it was about someone important to her. “I was told… Your mother was cruel, wasn’t she? And now your father can…” she trailed off, unsure of the real truth herself.

There was something else at play. Her father wouldn’t have taken a child from his mother without a reason. Willow wanted to believe it wasn’t his fault, there was something that forced him.

@Gwi × Victor Lee

3 Likes

Mayday hospital 1998.

It was one of those slow nights when there was not too much work but you still had to be there anyways. Those nights were hell for Susan Saige since not having much to do gave her too much time to be anxious over her grief stricken boy at home. He was 14 now and had to live and grown withouth the love of a father for two years, and she is never home to comfort him because of her demanding and exhausting job and nobody to help her with her son.
As she left the counter to go look for a medicine in the back, her colleague stopped her.
“Suzy, how are ya?” Asked the woman.
“I’m fine …” She said in a soft tone.
“You don’t sound fine to me” The colleague said as they both walked to the storage room.
“Mary, please, I’m just tired.” She turned around to face her with a box of omeprazole in her hand. “You of all people should know how exhausting this workplace can be.” Before leaving the storage area.
Mary caught up to Susan and said “Maybe you’d get more rest from a bed if there was somebody to greet you in it!” Mary didn’t shout but she said it loud enough for the customer to hear. Susan’s cheeks reddened with embarrasement while the old woman just smiled at her. Susan shyly gave the woman her tablets and said “Here you are Mrs, don’t worry they’re covered by medicare.” As the old woman was leaving, Susan was like a stone statue while Mary was softly laughing. The second the woman was gone, Susan turned around and hit her friend softly while saying “What is wrong with you?!”
Mary apologized while chuckling.
“I have so much work to do some nights I barely sleep at all, I can’t even imagine how hard my life would be if I had a relationship.”
“Whose talking about a relationship, I’m saying you need to rustle the sheets once, to get the edge off.”
“Trust me, the only thing that can make me relax is Reece getting better and then maybe a nice masagge to get all the tension out of my neck and shoulders.”
“Ok, as you wish, if you need me I’ll be in the storage.”
“Mary, what about the patients?” Mary looked around an almost empty lobby. “You can handle that.” She said jokingly before going to the storage. Susan sighed out of boredom, and at that very moment a man walked up to the counter. He was pale and looked exhausted and his coat was half dry half wet. She gave him a corporate smile as she asked him “Hi! How can I help you?” and he replied. “Can I please get some gold medi …” He sneezed into his handkerchief and before he could repeat what he wanted, she knew where he was getting so she asked “What kind?” To which he replied “Just, any generic kind.” She gave him a nasal spray and he paid for it. The man retreated to a seat nearby, opened the medicine and used it straight away, while Susan didn’t have much to do herself. A few minutes later the man got out of his seat, and considering the room was very silent except for ambiental beeps of the equipement and computers, him getting up was loud enough to warrant looks form everybody from the room … Which is why she noticed it in the first place. She realized that the man, in a span of a few minutes became allarmingly more exhausted than before and he started very carefully walking towards her with his eyes squinting. He came up and asked if there was a water cooler or a bathroom nearby and she pointed him towards the water cooler. He squinted at it and swayed so much she asked him about it. “Sir, you seem to be squinting a lot, is there something wrong with your eyesight?”
He spoke softly because he was so exhausted. “No, I’m just so tired my vision is starting to blur.” He said. She noticed his lips were dry and the skin on his hand was red and looked like a rash of some kind. If she weren’t a pharmacist who used to be married to a doctor she would also assume the same thing, but thankfully she knew this wasn’t just something induced by a lack of sleep. Once the man reached the water he filled the cup and drank it all, and then filled it again and drank it all in one go. He then went for the bathroom as Susan was writing down his symptoms. When he returned she called for Mary and asked her to take care of the patients. “What? I can’t take care of the patients!” Said Mary, who wanted a bit more peace. Susan looked around and said “What patients.” Before walking up to the gentleman. Mary wanted to protest, but she noticed her approach the only age appropriate male patient in the room and smiled at her, misunderstanding what was happening.
With worry in her voice she asked the man “Sir, do you have any existing conditions?” He turned to her and said “None, that I’ve been diagnozed with.” He was half falling asleep as she was talking. She sighed becuase her symptoms sounded a lot like diabetes and she didn’t want to be the one giving corticosteroids to a diabetic. However, all his symptoms lined up, he drank a lot of water yet he was still thirsty and his lips were still somewhat dry, he was very tired and he had blurred vision and he visited the bathroom often. She couldn’t allow herself to leave him alone, and she knew if she sent him to a dcotor he would probably not be able to find him with blurred vision and exhaustion. So she decided to go with him. “Sir, I think this is for your own good. Will you follow me into the doctor’s office, I believe you have a serious condition.”
“No, I need to check on my mother, and she needs to know I’m here.” He said.
“What’s her name?”
“Botterill.” He said.
“How about you follow me and I’ll make sure she knows you’re here. I’m sure you wouldn’t want both of you to have serious problems and she would like to know her son is well taken care of.”
“How serious is this disease, if I have it?”
“If you have it and leave it untreated … With time it will develop into diabetes.” This convinced him to follow her. As she completed her promise by telling his mother about him, she left out why he was hospitalized and told her it was stress related, because it wasn’t a lie. Susan knew it wasn’t diabetes yet, but it was stress related from the stress related psoriasis on the back of his hand. Due to admitting it was stress related Mrs. Botterill decided to tell Susan a few short stories about the man and his stressful job. From this Susan found out his name was Richard, they used to be poor but he managed to get a really good job, he’s very caring for his mother and he lives and works out of town, but he drives to Mayday every so often in the midst of a busy schedule to be there for his mother and he doesn’t want to admit her anywhere closer becuase it’s better for her where she is and the air is cleaner than in a big city.

@benitz786 - Thank you for the advice, you might still cringe at what I wrote and it’s obvious I don’t work in a hospital and wasn’t around one for years

3 Likes

Ria had blinked when the boy thanked her, and then she had smiled- it’s been long, she thinks that someone had thanked her for something. Most people simply nodded their heads at her, ignored her or walked past her- she can’t even remember the last time that her recently made ex had thanked her and that is sad, she knows- she doesn’t understand why she had not opened her eyes before and seen how terrible of a person he truly was. Thinking about how she had been dumb and blind made her frown, a sad expression reaching her eyes “You don’t have to thank me, I was just being honest,” She told the guitarist, her expression still a little sad as they sat down and she held her pencil and began to draw him.

As Ria’s pencil glided over the paper, the man’s image slowly took shape. His tousled hair, the expressive curve of his fingers on the guitar strings, and the intensity in his eyes were all captured with a deft hand. It was a portrait that seemed to capture not just his likeness but also a part of his soul. She talked to him- trying to make it less awkward and he answered, telling her that he had been playing since he was eleven, “Since you were 11?” Ria asked dropping her jaw in surprise, “No wonder you are so good at it.” She gushed and when the boy asked when she began to draw, Ria blinked, “I think since i was 9, I didn’t get along with most kids in my grade because well- i was the weird kid and i guess i am still am…” Ria said her voice faltering before she found it again, “So i just drew, sketching became my closest friend and it has never failed me.” Ria said as she finished the final touches, and then showing him the drawing she drew of him.

@Tina.G

3 Likes

“I think since i was 9, I didn’t get along with most kids in my grade because well- i was the weird kid and i guess i am still am… So i just drew, sketching became my closest friend and it has never failed me.” Joshua listened intently, feeling connected to some extent with Ria’s story. He struggled to find the right words at first, but he knew exactly what she meant. “Wow, Ria,” he replied with a soft smile. "I totally get it. I feel like people don’t really understand, and it’s tough. I mean, at least for me. But hey, I think it’s awesome that you found your thing that makes you feel good.” Joshua looked down at the table, almost embarrassed for admitting why he related. “Music is like my thing, you know? Like, when I’m playing my guitar, it’s like nothing else matters. It’s my way of expressing myself, just like your sketches are for you, right? I’m not exactly… top of the class, but music has a way of making me feel alive. It makes me forget about grades and that lingering voice saying—Actually, uhh, anyways. So, yeah, keep doing what you love, Ria.”

Joshua reached out for the drawing from Ria, his eyes widening in awe as he examined the intricate lines and details. He couldn’t help but feel a bit inadequate, realizing that he didn’t have the right words to describe how much he admired it. “Wow,” he breathed out again. “I don’t know how to say this right, but… this is amazing, Ria. Like, seriously. The amount of work and care you put into this is insane. It’s really beautiful.” He paused looking from the drawing back to her, mustering up the courage to ask, “Do you think I could keep it? I mean, if it’s not too much to ask? It’s really special, really and…I’d love to have it as a reminder of how much talent and creativity there is in the world.” Joshua didn’t know if he was laying it on too thick, but he gave her a small smirk so she wouldn’t hopefully feel pressured to say yes.

@Kristi • Ria

3 Likes

The night of Mr. Albert’s death

The delicate aroma of freshly brewed coffee and baked goods linger in the air, Hazel sat idly in her parent’s cafe, her pencil to the paper, unmoving. As the number of customers dissipated, her eyelids grew heavy, and slowly she buried her face in her hands. After some time, a light nudge had awoken her, it was her mother and she seemed worried. ”Hazel, can I fix you something to eat?”, her voice was soft and warm, Hazel begrudgingly lifted her head and embraced her mother by the waist. ”Can I have some chocolate pudding?”, Hazel spoke, her voice quiet and filled with sorrow. Her mother nodded her head and rubbed Hazel’s back reassuringly before heading to the kitchen. It was dark outside, just after sunset and they were about to close the cafe for the night. Hazel’s vision was blurry and she felt lopsided, her head pounding with unbearable pain after the day’s events. After a few minutes, her mother returned with a dish of chocolate pudding and whipped cream. She set down the pudding and sat in the chair next to her, her face also stricken with dejection. ”How are you holding up?”, she reached across the table, grasping Hazel’s hand. Hazel looked down at the pudding, ”I don’t know, just in shock . . . who would do something like this?’, her stomach churned hungrily but the spoon and pudding remained untouched. A small window of silence befell the mother and daughter, until Hazel spoke up again. ”It had to be revenge, some sick . . . twisted revenge”, her mother’s face remained unchanged and she stayed silent. Hazel knew that her mom would get uncomfortable upon the mention of murder or revenge, she had her reasons but did not declare them. Hazel slowly picked up the spoon and took up some pudding. It was cold, refreshing and delicious, but it made her feel so sick and nauseous.

The morning, before annocement and anonmyous text

By sunrise, anxiety had completely exhausted Hazel and so, she began nervously tapping her fingers on the steering wheel. In the passenger seat beside her lay a bag of her favorite pastries and a cup of coffee with a note signed “-Mom”. Hazel’s unease only increased as she was only one block away from the school. She knew that the world was unforgiving, unfair, and she knew that rumors ran rampant around the school. The door of her car closed with a heavy sigh as she headed towards the bleak and gray building. As she walked past, people stopped their morning conversations and their burning eyes followed her, until she finally quickened her pace and pulled up her hood. Hazel made her way to an empty classroom, her bag filled with her usual art supplies and a worn sketchbook. She didn’t feel inspired at all and erased every design she made repeatedly. The distraction she wished for seemed to be having the opposite effect and all she could see, all she could think of, was death. The body lying motionless on the floor surrounded by a crimson pool and the approaching end of her own life.

- Principal begins announcement over intercom -

Anncouement

With heavy hearts, we must share the sorrowful news of the passing of our esteemed teacher, Mr. Albert, and our dear fellow student, Miss Alissa Brian. Miss Alissa was not only a cherished member of our student body but also a former junior head girl and the dedicated leader of the student blog and newspaper committee. Their absence leaves a void in our hearts and our school community. May their souls find eternal peace. Student psychologists is always available for those grieving and today- yes, you do have to come to school but it will be a non-work day as we talk and write letters to the families of Alissa Brian and Mr.Albert.

”Alissa?”, her voice ached with confusion and her eyes remained glued to the paper. ”No, this can’t be”, she began, ”It’s not true - It can’t be”. Hazel stared down her sketch, the intricate lines of a blonde girl on graduation were smudged by tears. As she reached for the book, her grip was firm yet her hands shook violently. She grasped the book securely and held it close to her chest, to her rapidly beating heart. And she cried, like she’d never cried before. Memories replayed with each falling tear and deepened the wound in her heart, and slowly she cried, yelled until her voice was gone. Eventually, the crying bore her down further, allowing her to drift away into a slumber. She was battered down by her own pain, headache, heartache, nausea.

After some time - [bell rings]

A piercing pain in her brain from the sound of the bell had awoken her sharply. As her puffy eyes opened, she reached for her neck which felt swollen and plagued. The insulated coffee on the desk was still slightly warm to the touch, and felt relieving when she chugged it. Only for a slight moment, it felt warm, relaxing, before it settled in her stomach. She closed the lid halfway through, allowing the remaining coffee in her mouth to spill into the cup. Then, she hastily threw everything into her bag and ran for the bathroom. Before people could notice her, she hid silently in the very last stall. Hazel set her unclosed bag on the floor and her phone slipped out with a crash. She could see that it displayed a message and picked it up without hesitation, viewing it immediately.

Anon Text

The stoner. Now sure everyone knows Hazelnut and Alissa were friends, but were they truly? After all Alissa did write an article about the stoner. Who wouldn’t be angry if the sole reason your reputation was tarnish and your nickname as ‘stonergirl’ was started because of a ‘dear friend’? and Alissa’s death was not all too mysterious, sources say that she died of overdose or drug poisoning - where else could Alissa get drugs from if not from the stoner?

Hazel reread the last sentences until she couldn’t take it anymore. She fell to her knees with a rush of adrenaline consuming her, the phone no longer beside her, but buried at the bottom of the bag. Hazel knew what she needed to do, what her body told her to do, but she repressed it as long as she could. Until in the end, it took over and she grasped her retching stomach. She needed to breathe but her neck felt broken and restricting. She rushed out of the stall to the closet sink and rinsed her mouth with water until her sense of taste was forgotten. The bathroom was perhaps the least frequented and was empty for a short time, it was eerily silent, and the sound of the text notification was repeating amongst the running sink water. She splashed her entire face with water a few times, running it all over and all around her eyes and neck. Her gaze in the mirror was one of sadness, but also fear and uncertainty.

“Would the following students please report to the Principal Office: Jennifer Every Bond, Reece Saige, Hazel Bailey, Jacob brian, Oliver cooper, Fernanda Briggs, Anthony Touissant and Willow Montogomery.”

Time was certainly running out as the sound of footsteps and chatter grew near. While the door swung open, she was pretending to wipe her hands with a towel, facing away from the two girls, and with her hood up. As soon as they entered, she slipped out of the open door, keys in hand, and headed for the school’s exit. She was, however, stopped by the blaring mention of her name over the school intercom. For a brief moment, Hazel pondered if she should proceed or turn around and head to the principal’s office. But then, of course, she couldn’t just leave, she needed to see Jacob.

(note: tried summarizing the events as best as i could to get Hazel back up to speed)

4 Likes