The Guide to SGing!

Story-Games (SG)

An SG is a story game. Meaning that the creator(s) of the story will be the ones writing the story for the characters. The creator(s) will then write long posts (i.e. chapters) as frequently as possible. After each post, the creator(s) will include the character creators by asking for decisions on what to do next and/or possible questions they may ask, etc.

SG Etiquette/Rules

1. One acronym is still the same as with roleplays (RPs); FC.
    FCs = FaceClaims. Usually created in Google slides and it shows all the (main) characters who will be in the story.
  2. Read all the rules here and everything in the first post of the SG before you create a character. Understand what you can before asking questions to the creator that can be found with a little searching. Though if you don’t understand, that’s cool, feel free to ask.
    The creator(s) may have different requirements and rules for their SG as all SGs are custom-made to fit their imagination.
  3. Make sure to be respectful to everyone and their characters.
  4. Be patient; SGs do take longer than RPs, so keep that in mind since the creator(s) have a life too and can’t write all the time.
  5. DON’T bump the thread, even if you’ve been waiting a while. We now have @RPStaff for that and we are watching to check this is still happening. We promise you!
  6. No posting on the official SG thread, as that’s reserved for the creator(s) only.
    7: REMEMBER to have detailed characters! Someone is writing for your character, so the more detail, the better the portrayal!

Most Rules are the same ars RPs:

They can be found here:

As for creating an SG:

1. For starters, have an idea. When you have one, share it on the ideas thread to see if there is interest. If enough people are interested then you can look into progress with it further.
  2. Plot before creating a thread. This doesn’t mean just creating sign-ups and FCs, but actually planning out the story and at least a basic outline of what could happen.
  3. Create sign-ups. As characters are submitted, more plotting can be achieved. Also, if anything isn’t to your liking then talk to the users about it politely. Remember, you’re the one doing all the writing for them.
  4. Close sign-ups when you’re ready, then PLOT! Think about the events, characters, story, and even what questions/type of input you want from the users who submitted characters.
  5. Begin writing! Use detail and descriptions, and remember to always reread each character’s FC slide to make sure you depict them well. Just take your time to write this, it’s your story and there is no rush, which is what is another great thing about RPs.
    Most of all, make sure you’re having fun while writing your story!

An example of how are SG posts formatted:

Title/Chapter title of the post

Typically more than a paragraph of writing for each part of the story that you fit into each post.

Tagging all the users with characters!
Questions or a poll for those users to help you narrate the story.

ALSO, just to keep our SG stuff all together and not lost in the see of RPs, let’s just post sign-ups/chats and the official threads here!

I, Caliope, cannot wait to see the SGs that are created here. I promise to be following, if not joining, all of them! And if you have any further questions, I’m happy to answer them here or in a PM! Don’t hesitate, it’s cool. Or there are the apprentices and mentors, who I’m sure will be more than happy to help.

Cheers,
Caliope (wink)

37 Likes

This is so helpful! I only knew the basics of what an SG is, before this! :grin::new_moon::dizzy::black_heart:

2 Likes

I’m confused, the creator controls all the characters?

2 Likes

Yes. The creator will have you make characters and you will answer questions.

For example:
The creator might ask you how your character would respond to a certain situation, and then you would respond as your character.

In this situation my character would try and found his teammates and make sure they are okay. If he can’t find them he’ll probably create a camp or hide in a cave, and make a flair signal for them out of the available resources.

2 Likes

Thanks! :hugs:

2 Likes

Just adding a tag!

2 Likes

bump :no_mouth:

I’m really good at stalking these threads, but I have recently been interested in getting into sging :eyes:

1 Like

Making one or just being in one?

1 Like

being in one

1 Like

I have two (well, three, but it’s in the restricted section) and a half if you’re interested in being in one.

2 Likes

which ones?

1 Like

Adventure Story SG - some characters need a group to make decisions for them, Charmed - sign-ups still open, and my Adventure Story RP - being organised. I will be SGing while users are RPing.

1 Like

To include the new and improved SG guide! Here it is:

3 Likes